Catalonia

latest news headlines

Spain sets up 800 checkpoints in Catalonia in manhunt for Barcelona suspect.

Desperate to ease public fears and neutralize a terrorist cell responsible for the deadliest attack in Spain in a decade, Spanish police erected 800 checkpoints across the region of Catalonia on Sunday - part of a massive manhunt for a Moroccan-born man they suspect was the driver of the van that...

- Baltimoresun.com - US

Spain sets up 800 checkpoints in Catalonia in manhunt for Barcelona suspect.

Desperate to ease public fears and neutralise a terrorist cell responsible for the deadliest attack in Spain in a decade, Spanish police erected 800 checkpoints across the region of Catalonia today.It is part of a massive manhunt...

- The New Zealand Herald - NZ

Barca honor terror attack victims in Betis win.

Barcelona got their La Liga season off to a winning start Sunday, beating Real Betis 2-0 at a emotional Camp Nou following a pair of terrorist attacks in Catalonia.

- The Daily Star - LB

Barca honour terror attack victims in Betis win.

BARCELONA, Aug 21 — Barcelona got their La Liga season off to a winning start yesterday, beating Real Betis 2-0 at an emotional Camp Nou following a pair of terrorist attacks in Catalonia. Twin vehicle attacks on Thursday killed 14 people and...

- The Malay Mail - MY

Spain sets up 800 checkpoints in Catalonia in manhunt for Barcelona suspect.

As the driver of the car in last week's attack continued to elude police, attention also turned to a missing imam in the 12 suspects' home town.

- Washington Post - US

Spain's king leads homage after terror assaults.

GRIEF-STRICKEN Barcelona paid homage yesterday to the victims of two terror assaults at a mass in the city’s Sagrada Familia church. King Felipe, Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy and Catalonia’s President Carles Puigdemont led the ceremony mourning the 14 people killed by jihadists who used vehicles to mow down ...

- Shanghai Daily - CN

Barcelona attack driver may have fled to France.

SPANISH police hunting for a suspect after the Barcelona van attack that killed 13 people said yesterday that they could not rule out that he had slipped over the border into France. Spanish police said security operations were under way in Catalonia and on the French border as they try to find Moroccan-born Younes ...

- Shanghai Daily - CN

Catalonia is fertile ground for terrorists for decades.

Despite its experience in fighting terrorism, Spain failed this past week to prevent two deadly attacks in Catalonia – a key tourist magnet but also the Spanish region most vulnerable to such assaults.

- The Daily Star - LB

Catalonia, Spain's fertile ground for terrorists.

Catalonia, Spain's fertile ground for terrorists...

- MENAFN - JO

Police hunting for suspected Barcelona van driver.

Police in Catalonia are searching for the driver of a van that ploughed into a crowd in Barcelona, killing 13 people, but the government said the suspected Islamist militant cell behind the attack had been dismantled.

- RTE - IE

Missing British-Australian boy was killed in Barcelona.

A British-Australian boy, who had been reported as missing by his grandfather, was killed in the vehicle attack in Barcelona, an official from Catalonia region's emergency services confirmed today.

- RTE - IE

7-year-old British-Australian boy who was reported missing in the Barcelona rampage now confirmed dead

© AFP JAVIER SORIANOBarcelona - A British-Australian boy aged seven who had been reported as missing by his grandfather was killed in the vehicle rampage in Barcelona, his family and Spanish officials said Sunday. Julian Cadman was among 14 people killed in the twin assaults in Spain, according to Catalonia's civil ...

- Business Insider - US

Thousands mourn Barcelona attack victims at mass in Sagrada Familia

© AFP Pascal GUYOTBarcelona - Mourners wiped back tears at a solemn mass at Barcelona's stunning Sagrada Familia church on Sunday for victims of the deadly vehicle attacks that have devastated Spain. "These have been days of tears, many tears but also of much humanity," Barcelona's Auxiliary Bishop Sebastia Taltavull said ...

- Business Insider - US

Catalonia police can't rule out possibility that van attack suspect crossed into France

Trapero also said he could not confirm who was the driver of the van that killed 13 people in Barcelona. 

- Global News - CA

Barcelona terror attacks suspect may be in France, says police chief

Catalonia's police chief says he cannot rule out that the last suspect still believed to be at large in the Barcelona attacks may have crossed into France.

- Stuff - NZ

Police say cannot rule out that suspect in Barcelona attacks may have crossed to France

BARCELONA - The chief of police in Catalonia said on Sunday he could not rule out that the last suspect still believed to be at large in the Barcelona attacks may have crossed to France.

- Reuters - US

Spanish police hunt for suspected Barcelona van driver

Police in Catalonia are searching for Younes Abouyaaquoub, a 22-year-old Moroccan suspected of carrying out the attack.

- Stars and Stripes - US

Barcelona's Iconic Sagrada Familia - Prime Target of Terrorists' Botched Bombing Plot

The Catalonian terrorist cell, responsible for the twin attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils, originally planned to carry out a major bombing campaign with explosive-laden vans. Antoni Gaudi's unfinished cathedral masterpiece was reportedly their main target.TrendsWednesday's apparent accidental explosion at their Alcanar ...

- Novinite - BG

One suspect still on the loose after Barcelona attacks

Catalonia police, working on the hypothesis of 12 suspects being involved in the Barcelona attacks, are searching for 22-year-old Younes Abouyaaqoub.

- IOL - ZA

Spanish police hunt for suspected Barcelona van driver

Spanish police put up scores of roadblocks across the northeast as the manhunt continued Sunday for the suspected driver of the van that plowed into pedestrians in Barcelona. Police in Catalonia are searching for Younes Abouyaaquoub, a 22-year-old Moroccan suspected of carrying out the attack Thursday in Barcelona that left ...

- Philippine Daily Inquirer - PH

Police says one man still sought after Barcelona attacks

MADRID - The Catalonia police on Sunday said investigators were still working on the hypothesis of 12 suspects in the Barcelona attacks that took place on Thursday and that one man was still sought.

- Reuters - US

Child performers help build human tower to honour Barcelona attack victims

Building human towers, or castells, are a very popular cultural event in many town festivals in Catalonia.

- Global News - CA

ISIS claims knife attack injuring 8 in Russia

August 19, 2017, 4:37 PM The Islamic State media quickly took responsibility for the knife attack which injured 8 people in the central Russian city of Surgut Saturday. The assailant was shot dead by a police patrol. The attack took place two days after an ISIS cell in Spain killed 13 people and injure more than 100 in a ...

- DEBKAFile - IL

Catalan police raid home of Barcelona terror imam

August 19, 2017, 10:58 PM Catalan police are gathering the pieces of the plot by an ISIS network based in the Pyrenees town of Ripoli to carry out multiple murder attacks in Catalonia, including a reported plan to blow up the famous Sagrada Familia of Barcelonia. Saturday, the investigators raided the house of an imam in ...

- DEBKAFile - IL

Reports: Ripoll imam radicalized Barcelona attackers

Police are suspecting a missing imam of radicalizing the youths who drove cars into pedestrians in Catalonia, Spanish media reports. Islamic clerics in Ripoll, the home town of the assailants, condemned the attacks.

- Deutsche Welle - DE

In statement on Barcelona attack, local BDS chapter says Europe is 'responsible'

, Catalonia's branch of the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement against Israel suggested that European governments are responsible' for a terrorist attack in the Barcelona area. BDS Catalonia made the accusation on Friday, a day after the Islamic State terrorist group said its militants killed in the Spanish region ...

- JTA - US

When terror struck Barcelona on August 17, 2017

Catalonia carnage: In one of the worst acts of jihadi terrorism since the Madrid bombings of 2004, a van crashed into a crowd in the Las Ramblas district of Barcelona, killing 13 people and wounding m...

- The Hindu - IN

Fifteen people in critical condition after Barcelona attack

Fifteen out of the 59 people receiving medical treatment after a van attack in Barcelona are in a critical condition, authorities in Spain's Catalonia region have said, Sputnik reported.

- AzerNews - AZ

Spanish Government Maintains Security Alert Level, Says No Attack Imminent

Spain will maintain its security alert level at 4, one notch below the maximum level which would signal an attack was imminent, after two deadly attacks in the northeastern region of Catalonia this week, Interior Minister Juan Ignacio Zoido said, cited by Reuters. Zoido added that the government would reinforce security in ...

- Novinite - BG

Spain, France press manhunt for ringleader in dual attacks

Early Saturday, police searched two buses in northwest Catalonia in the hunt for any remaining members of the cell. Nothing was found in the searches in Girona and Garrigas, police tweeted.

- The Hindu - IN

Spain attacks: 'Cell dismantled' as manhunt continues

Interior minister says cell behind attacks that killed more than a dozen people in Catalonia is fully dismantled.

- Al Jazeera - QA

Spanish police hunt Barcelona van driver

Spanish police are searching for the driver of a van that ploughed into a crowd in Barcelona, killing 13 people, in one of two deadly attacks in Catalonia carried out by a network of suspected Islamist militants.

- Stuff - NZ

Spanish police searching for van driver in Barcelona attack

BARCELONA/RIPOLL, Spain - Spanish police were on Saturday searching for the driver of a van that ploughed into a crowd in Barcelona, killing 13 people, in one of two deadly attacks in Catalonia carried out by a network of suspected Islamist militants.

- Reuters - US

Spain attacks: 'cell dismantled' as manhunt continues

Interior minister says cell behind attacks that killed more than a dozen people in Catalonia is fully dismantled

- Al Jazeera - QA

Spanish police searching for van driver in Barcelona attack

BARCELONA/RIPOLL, Spain - Spanish police were on Saturday searching for the driver of a van that plowed into a crowd in Barcelona, killing 13 people, in one of two deadly attacks in Catalonia carried out by a network of suspected Islamist militants.

- Reuters - US

Police See Wider Plot in Spain and Say Carnage Could Have Been Worse

They now believe that a tiny Mediterranean town may have been the incubator for a conspiracy far more ambitious than the attacks in Catalonia.

- New York Times - US

Spanish terror attack victims came from all over the world

At least 14 people have been killed and 120 people have been injured after two terror attacks in Spain's Catalonia region this week.

- CNN Top Stories - US

Barcelona attacks: Manhunt continues for terror cell suspects

Police are still searching for suspects behind terror attacks in Catalonia that killed 14 people and injured scores. Investigators suspect a terror cell had planned a larger attack involving homemade bombs.

- Deutsche Welle - DE

Catalonia attacks death toll rises to 15

The number of people killed in the recent attacks in Spain's Catalonia reached 15, Sputnik reported, citing local media.

- AzerNews - AZ

Barcelona van attacker may still be alive, on the run - police

The driver of the van that ploughed into crowds in Barcelona, killing 13 people, may still be alive and at large, Spanish police said, denying earlier media reports that he had been shot dead in a Catalan seaside resort. Josep Lluis Trapero, police chief in Spain's northeastern region of Catalonia, said he could not confirm ...

- timesofmalta.com - MT

The Latest: 3rd arrest following Barcelona van attack

BARCELONA, Spain " The Latest on terror attacks in Spain :8:50 a.m.Catalonia authorities say a third person has been arrested in connection with the Barcelona van attack that killed at least 13 people.Catalonia...

- The New Zealand Herald - NZ

Catalonia Interior Minister and police say a third person has been arrested following deadly van attack in Barcelona

BARCELONA, Spain " Catalonia Interior Minister and police say a third person has been arrested following deadly van attack in Barcelona.

- The New Zealand Herald - NZ

Police in Spain say attacks could have been worse as plot widens

As police hunted Friday for the driver who plowed into pedestrians on a popular promenade in Barcelona, evidence emerged of a wider plot that could have inflicted even more carnage. Authorities in the Spanish region of Catalonia had four people in custody and were searching for three others in...

- Los Angeles Times - US

Police name three Moroccans suspected of Catalonia attacks

Police on Friday released the names of three Moroccans suspected of deadly terror attacks and who were shot dead overnight by security forces in the seaside resort of Cambrils.

- The Local - ES

Police name three Moroccans suspected of Spain attacks

Spanish police today released the names of three Moroccans suspected of deadly terror attacks and who were shot dead overnight by security forces in the seaside resort of Cambrils.Catalonias regional police identified them as Moussa Oukabir, 17, Said Aallaa, 18, and Mohamed Hychami, 24. Police said they were searching for a ...

- Deccan Herald - IN

Spain gripped in nationwide manhunt after terror spree

Spanish police have begun a nationwide manhunt for four suspects of Moroccan origin in the terror attacks in Spain’s Catalonia region on Thursday.

- FOX News - US

Brief tourism impact from Spain attacks, experts say

BARCELONA, Aug 19 ― The attacks in Catalonia may hit tourist numbers, but the recent experience of other European countries hit by jihadist violence suggests it will likely be brief, industry experts said. Cancellations, early departures,...

- The Malay Mail - MY

Barcelona attack: Key suspect Moussa Oukabir confirmed dead

, August 19 : The prime suspect in Barcelona attack Moussa Oukabir has been shot dead by police in the nearby seaside town of Cambrils, reports Express.The twin attacks in the Catalan capital were a reaction to air strikes in Syria, ISIS claimed, despite Spaniards refusing to take part in air bombing campaigns in 2015.Hours ...

- Sify - IN

Spain's Catalonia has long been a tourist magnet — and a terrorism hotspot

When terrorist groups look at Europe, they see Spain as a country that used to be part of the global caliphate, and it was lost," said Raffaello Pantucci of the Royal United Services Institute.

- Washington Post - US

Defiant crowds show solidarity with Barcelona victims

Spain reacts to twin terror attacks in Catalonia yesterday.

- RTE - IE

Feed